Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Beet, Carrot, Apple & Ginger

I am just finishing some gorgeous juice that I made this afternoon in my Omega juicer.   It is seriously soooo tasty.  I wasn't sure if it would come out but it came out great and I LOVE the tip from Discount Juicers to use a 4 cup measuring cup and then just set a fine strainer on top of it.  It keeps all the pulp from getting in the juice.  Not that there was a lot of pulp but there was some … more on that later.

Here's what I started with:
2 large organic golden beets + their greens
2 organic Granny Smith apples
2 pounds of organic heirloom carrots
about 2 inches of ginger

I cut them up since the Omega prefers to take the produce in digestible bites, and it needs to be able to fit down the shoot as well.   Here it all is pre-juiced:


The juicer really did a great job delivering really dry pulp - you can see it coming out here.  You can also see how great the strainer and measuring cup arrangement works for juicing and catching froth/pulp.   


Here's what I ended up with


I would love to show it to you in a beautiful wine glass or something, but it's all gone now!! I drank half and shared the rest with my sister.     It was YUM!! Delish.  I'll definitely make it again and now that I have a little experience with the juicer I need to look through juice recipes and see what to make tomorrow.

A note on cleaning the Omega VSJ843- it is pretty easy to clean.  The hardest part really is making sure there are no particles stuck in the juicing screen but they give you a toothbrush type tool to clean inside those and it's really no big deal.   It probably takes 5 minutes of clean up and I'm sure it will be faster once I get the hang of it.    I really love that there are no sharp parts like in centrifugal juicers -  a part of me really wanted to just go with a Breville because it juices so fast, but the pulp is not as dry as a masticating juicer (meaning you are wasting produce and not getting as much juice!), and the blade on those things scare me … I love there are no sharp edges on this juicer to cut myself. I can just relax, enjoy making my juice with safe and easy clean up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment